A Thousand Thank Yous (2) Paintings

Dear reader,

As a follow-up to my previous A thousand thank yous, I want to share A thousand paintings with you. Numbers have always fascinated me, even if unfortunately I have forgotten lots of things I once knew about them.


 


A thousand paintings is an initiative that brings together art and science. Swiss artist and biologist Sala has been selling square paintings of numbers 1 to 1000 similar to the above from 2006, and as he says on his blog:

"On May 30th and 31st 2006 alone, 322 paintings have been sold - most probably the highest number of unique, handmade paintings sold on the internet within such a short time. Paintings have been shipped to 27 countries all over the world."

The above number is the lowest number available at the moment, for a price of $714,40 today. Only a scientist's mind (I think) could work out the following changing price system:

"Generally, the value of a number is defined by the number itself, in the following way: value = 1000 - number. However, this is only the maximum price. Initially, a discount of 90% applies. This discount will decrease by an absolute 10% for every hundred paintings that are sold (for example, after 300 sold paintings, the discount will be 60%)."

You can read more about A thousand paintings in this article from Wired, the American magazine that reports on how new and developing technology affects culture, the economy, and politics.


By the way, the image I wanted to post wasn't 107 but 997. The image for that number wasn't available, so I chose 107. What do those two numbers have in common?

Comments

Popular Posts

Edificios enfermos en Barcelona y alrededores

Rembrandt me persigue

Antonio Vivaldi: Magnificat et Gloria

Why I liked The Hunger Games

Historias de Delacroix